Sunday, January 7, 2007

Meeting with ISB Yahoo group members

I attended the meeting held by the members of the ISB Hyd yahoo group. This group was started when I was in the application stage. Majority of the members in this group have been successful in getting through the ISB R1 admissions, barring myself and another applicant of similar experience as mine.

I felt very good and a welcome member in the group (after losing out in the admissions race). Really mature people around in the group considering majority of them are in the budding stages of their career.

I think I might explore the exchange program and come to ISB as an exchange student from Queens, as Queens has a tie up with ISB now. Let us see, where do we all land up.

One thing was very common in this meeting. Everybody wanted to be an entrepreneur at some or the other stage of their life. Guess, every body wants to come out of the rat race that we all have been part of since our childhood, thanks to the lack of vision or compelling circumstances of our parents (I am talking of middle class families, and not the rich class).

When I was in school, I was constantly told by my parents----Study, study, get a good job, settle down, marry, bring up your children, make them study and continue this cycle-infinite cycle. Is this not the mantra of a generation older to us. Do you think that this philosophy holds true in this jet age. I certainly do not think so.

One of the biggest foully of this philosophy is we end up paying huge taxes. Some times I really wonder do we earn to pay taxes to the Government.

I certainly want to come out of this rat race and become enterprising. Again, let us see where life takes me.

2 comments:

Barun Moitra said...

Hi Rajeev,
I liked the idea of like-minded people getting together and discussing about the future, but truly speaking I am not very much impressed with ISB. There are a few reason which might not appeal to everybody.
ISB over the last few years have rejected applicants who carry a wealth of experience on their shoulders. I agree they might not have very good GMAT score but why would a school that wants to be a in a top league emphasise majorly on GMAT scores.
Another factor that might interest you is the average years of experience people have in ISB. Given anyday Rajeev I think you are much much better candidate than most of the participants.
It is only a few schools in the world where the average salary is less than their school fees
(might not be a criteria for you but definitely is it a factor)
At Queens you definitely get an International exposure. You will get an opprotunity to work and team-up with International students which would definitely be a major major experience for you. ISB has only 2% international participants (hmm interesting).
No entreprenuer is born rich, else you are not one. No entrepreneur had a mentor.


barun

Rajeev said...

Hi Barun,
I really wish if you could have joined me at Queens. But I think our roads will surely cross each other some time in the future.

Well, whatever you have said about the ISB is true and I concur with you.